Have you ever wondered what a “super food” is exactly? A super food is defined as “a nutrient-rich food that is considered to be especially beneficial for both health and well-being.”
Incorporating a few of these super foods into your diet can make for a delicious and nutrient-packed day! What are YOUR favorite Super Foods?
- Wild Salmon – this fish is loaded with protein and heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids which studies show can help in preventing cardiovascular disease.
- Cranberries – this fruit helps to fight inflammation in the body, reduce risk of heart disease and prevent yeast infections.
- Avocado – is loaded with healthy mono saturated fats which improve cholesterol levels and decrease the risk of heart disease.
- Chia – this seed is loaded with fiber and has the same amount of omega-3s as wild salmon! It is also packed with magnesium and antioxidants proven to lower cardiovascular disease.
- Broccoli – this green veggie is packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber! It also has high levels of folate (important for women’s health) and helps fight off disease.
- Almonds – this nuts has a good dose of fiber, plus it is packed with magnesium, potassium, iron and calcium.
- Flax – is another seed that is fiber packed and full of heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids. It helps protect against heart disease and cancer.
- Cacao – chocolate as a “super food”? Yes! This delight is full of disease-fighting antioxidants that help in the prevention of cardiovascular disease.
- Blueberries – these little berries are packed with fiber, vitamin C and antioxidants. They aid in protecting against heart disease and cancer.
- Greek Yogurt – This tart treat is packed with probiotics that aid in digestion and boost the immune system. It is also gives you a big protein punch!
A few great combinations are:
- Salmon and steamed broccoli
- Greek yogurt topped with blueberries and almonds
- Grilled avocado, cranberry & goat cheese sandwich
- Cacao, strawberry and Greek yogurt parfait
Sarah Kesseli nurtured her interest in a healthier lifestyle by doing as much research as possible and created personal eating and exercise habits that have helped her stay fit and feeling fabulous ever since.