With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it seems especially timely to reflect on the many blessings for which I’m grateful. This year, as I sit around the Thanksgiving table with my family, I’ll be giving thanks for:
- My large, extended family – it’s the greatest support system, and every single member is so honest and loving.
- The loyalty of my girlfriends – I’m very lucky to have this group to lean on, and nothing seems to disrupt the deep relationships that we have.
Thanksgiving is also the perfect time to give back by donating to charitable organizations or volunteering for a cause. I find that giving to local charities is a wonderful way to feel connected to and involved with your community.
Here are a few close to my heart:
- The Hawn Foundation – I am most proud to be on the board of The Hawn Foundation, founded by my mom, Goldie Hawn. The foundation is celebrating its tenth anniversary this year. Its MindUP Program provides school-aged children with mindfulness tools and strategies to increase focus, improve academics and create happiness and resiliency. It is now part of school curriculums in six countries and growing.
- Baby2Baby – this is a local charity for me, and the group provides low-income children ages 0-12 with necessities like diapers, clothing and more. This year, the organization will serve more 80,000 kids.
- Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) – The NRDC is the nation’s most effective environmental action group, tackling issues such as global warming, endangered wildlife and safe/sufficient water.
- Amnesty International – this non-profit is the world’s largest grassroots, human rights organization, fighting injustice and seeking to transform societies to create a safer, more just world.
- WildAid – This organization’s mission is to end the illegal wildlife trade by reducing the demand for products produced from the poaching and killing of endangered species.