I don’t get it either.
I have 3 of my favorite Memorial Day recipes that make a great addition to any barbeque or pool party! They’re delicious and you can enjoy every bite knowing that you’re indulging without extra fat and calories.
Ever wonder what to do with extra watermelon? I have a salad that will last for days in the fridge and wow your barbeque-goers!
1 package firm tofu, drained and cut into large cubes
Coconut oil spray (for frying, use enough to coat the pan)
2 cups of cubed watermelon
¼ cup diced spring/ green onions
1-2 cucumbers (chopped)
Juice of ½ lime
salt/pepper to taste
4-6 mint leaves
¼ cup feta cheese (optional)
1 large bag of salad mix (your choice! I used a spinach blend for this one, arugula and butter lettuces are also great!)
1. Heat a large skillet and coat with coconut oil spray when hot
2. Drain and chop tofu, stir fry at medium heat until golden brown
3. Set tofu aside
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine watermelon, spring onions, cucumber, lime juice, and salt/pepper. Toss until evenly coated with lime juice and well-mixed.
5. Toss your salad mix into a large serving bowl
6. Layer your watermelon- veggie blend & tofu evenly over the lettuces
7. Garnish with mint sprigs, feta cheese (or vegan substitute)
8. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Chickpea Egg Salad
Love egg salad but want to serve a healthier alternative? I have a super easy and delicious recipe that your guests will love. Plus, it makes a great post-workout snack!
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
5 celery stalks
2 spring onions
Sprigs of dill to taste
For the dressing;
1 tbsp. whole grain mustard
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. Meyer lemon juice
1. Hard boiled eggs until preferred firmness, set aside to cool
2. Chop celery and onion as desired
3. Rinse chickpeas
4. Chop eggs as desired (remove yolks if preferred)
5. Whisk dressing ingredients
6. Combine everything and chill for an hour. Enjoy!
Strawberry Yogurt Shortcakes
I love this dessert. It’s crumbly, sweet, savory, and delicious. You won’t miss the packaged shortcakes when you’ll be filling up on protein and fiber!
1.5 cups multigrain baking mix,
2 tbsp. cold butter or substitute
1 packet stevia or sugar substitute
1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
Canola oil spray (for coating muffin pans)
1 cup strawberries, thinly sliced
2 cups Greek yogurt (vanilla or plain)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Prepare the baking mix and butter by hand or beater until well combined
3. Add stevia and almond milk
4. Form a dough and spoon into a greased muffin tin 2/3 of the way full
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
6. When cool, slice in half
7. Layer the fresh berries and yogurt on top of each half
8. Serve immediately & enjoy!
Sarah Ann Corkum, Fabletics Master