Imagine the trail mix aisle at your local super market stacked high with every option, every nut, every additive – however nothing is just right! Hours are spent perusing hundreds of packages and reading every label, but nothing is the perfect fit for you. You are overcome with uneasiness and stress — even the thought of having to pick through your beloved trail mix is unthinkable.
Trail mix is a very personal item and tends to create a love-hate relationship with so many of its consumers – you might love the salty cashews, dark chocolate, or dried pineapple, but can’t stand the candied ginger, brazil nuts, or oat-dusted date bites. So what are you going to do – give in to picking through the bag or do a trail mix DIY?
In honor of National Trail Mix day, we came up with five unexpected trail mix recipes, curated to many trail mix personalities! The days spent picking through trail mix are now officially over.
For the Health Nut
• Combine an unlimited assortment of your favorite raw nuts and seeds. Try adding the unexpected twist, like hemp seeds, flax seeds, shelled pistachios, macadamia nuts, and hazelnuts.
• Keep them unsalted and raw to get all the nutritional benefits of these amazing nutritional powerhouses.
• Need more than just nuts and seeds? Try adding goji berries, white mulberries, and coconut flakes. Simple and easy!
For the Seasoned Professional
• Combine rosemary herb marcona almonds
• Dried apricots
• Pepitas/Pumpkin seeds
• Top with an extra dusting of chunky sea salt or any other herbs that strike your fancy!
For the Sweet Tooth
• Dark chocolate chunks, carob chips, or cocoa nibs
• Cashews, almonds, and pecans
• Salted popcorn
• Dried cranberries or cherries
• Top with an extra pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt and cinnamon
For the Bold Taste Buds
• Strips of dried seaweed
• Wasabi peas or dried edamame (or both!)
• Cashews, peanuts and almonds
• Black sesame seeds
• A splash of soy sauce, tamari, or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos and a dash of cayenne pepper.
For the Breakfast Enthusiast
• Granola pieces (try Purely Elizabeth’s Original)
• Coconut flakes
• Freeze dried strawberries
What is your go-to trail mix recipe? Please share in the comments below or tag us on social media. Happy trail mixing!
-Sarah K, Fabletics PR Assistant