Gingerbread might be the ultimate holiday treat. It smells good, tastes delicious and, when prepared correctly, is actually healthy for you! This Chocolate Gingerbread Energy Bites recipe from Becky LaChance of BeckyLivesHealthy.com is the perfect fuel to aide you in all your last-minute holiday shopping.
I can’t believe the holiday season is here and, I don’t know about you, but I still have a ton of shopping to do! To keep me fueled in the homestretch, I made these chocolate gingerbread energy bites. They’re the perfect treat or healthy snack to have on-the-go. They taste like a chocolate gingerbread cookie, but they’re so much better for you!
Ginger contains gingerol, which is a compound that contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Some benefits of ginger include: helping relieve joint and muscle pain, regulating blood sugar, easing inflammation and promoting proper digestion. In addition, these energy bites are made with oatmeal and almond butter; oatmeal has plenty of fiber to keep you full and satisfied and almond butter is a good source of healthy monounsaturated fats.
These energy bites come together in no time! I added all of the ingredients to my food processor to blend and rolled the dough into small bites. (I dipped them in melted chocolate, but this step can be omitted if you want.) If you’re a gingerbread fan, you’re going to love this recipe. Enjoy!
Makes 10-12 energy bites
1 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup almond butter
2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp almond milk
1/2 cup dark chocolate morsels
Crushed almonds for topping
- Add all of the ingredients (except chocolate and crushed almonds) to the food processor and blend. If the mixture remains dry after blending, add a splash of almond milk.
- Once the ingredients are mixed, roll into 10-12 balls and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add the chocolate chips into a microwave safe dish and microwave in 30-second intervals until chocolate is melted. Make sure to stir in between.
- Using a fork, carefully coat the bites in chocolate. The excess chocolate should drain off through the fork.
- Once all of the energy bites are coated in chocolate, place in freezer for about 10 minutes to let the chocolate set.
- Remove energy bites from freezer and drizzle bites with melted chocolate. Add crushed almonds right away before chocolate sets. Repeat with all energy bites.
- Store in fridge or freezer when done. Enjoy!